Kaiwaka is a very small town situated 90 minutes north of Auckland and close to both the East and West Coast beaches. Kaiwaka School opened in 1870, to cater for a rural population. We now serve a diverse population with students coming from farms and lifestyle blocks and others from the township – ‘The Town of Little Lights’ that many travelers see at night as they head north.

 

Kaiwaka School is a very special place. It is a happy learning community where students, staff and whanau work together to maximize student learning. At the beginning of each year the ‘Whole School Camp’ fosters this important relationship. Families are welcome in our school and can help in many ways. Students are welcomed into our school with a powhiri. This has become a very special time as it gives both the students and their families a feeling of immediate acceptance and inclusion.

 

Kaiwaka School SignKaiwaka School has a special character, in that it offers tuition in te Reo Maori and Tikanga. This strongly reflects the kawa of our local iwi, but is inclusive of all tribes of Aotearoa. Approximately 75% of our students participate in this option. We have a very strong Kapahaka. Their annual performance, at the Kaipara Festival and the end of year prize giving, reflects the dedication given by students and staff during the year and shows the value that we attach to this learning.

 

Our aim is to develop confident, lifelong learners who are good communicators and achieve academic excellence. The ‘Kaiwaka Inquiry Learning Pathway is used to develop these skills.

 

Rosemarie Ellis – Principal